The Micro Modular Reactor® (MMR®) Project at Chalk River is a commercial demonstration project under development by Global First Power.
About the MMR Project at Chalk River
The MMR Project will deploy USNC’s MMR technology at Chalk River Laboratories in Ontario, a site owned by Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL) and managed by Canadian Nuclear Laboratories (CNL). GFP is currently in Stage 3 of Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' thorough process to select proponents to construct and operate a small modular reactor (SMR) at that location. The application for a Licence to Prepare Site has been filed with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, which regulates all nuclear activities in Canada.
The proposed project includes a nuclear plant containing an MMR reactor, and an adjacent plant, which are the main physical works related to the project. The nuclear plant provides approximately 15 MW of process heat to the adjacent plant where it is converted to electrical power (up to 5 MW of electricity) and/or heat as per client requirements. The electrical power could also be supplied to the area grid, over an anticipated life span of 20 years. The MMR technology is an economically competitive alternative to greenhouse gas-emitting diesel power and heat generation, with a smaller environmental footprint. An environmental assessment (EA) is currently underway for this project.
To learn about our EA, please visit our EA-specific website: www.gfpcleanenergy.com
The following timeline is for planning purposes only and subject to project, licensing and regulatory approvals. The proposed schedule for Submission of Licence Application Information further supports this schedule. This aligns with Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ long-term business strategy that includes the goal of siting and constructing an SMR.
Project Materials and Public Engagements
- Global First Power Brochure (English) - March 2020 (PDF)
- Global First Power Brochure (Français) - Mars 2020 (PDF)
- Project Description (English) - July 2019 (PDF)
- Description du Projet (Français) - Juillet 2019 (PDF)
- Notice of Commencement for Environmental Assessment - June 2020 (PDF)
- Micro Modular Reactor Project - Impact Assessment Agency of Canada Website
Aug. 4, 2022 - In-Person Open House
- 2:30 to 8 p.m., Sheenboro Parish Hall, Sheenboro, Quebec
Aug. 5, 2022 - In-Person Open House
- 2:30 to 8 p.m., Deep River Yacht and Tennis Club, Deep River, Ontario
Aug. 3-17, 2022 - Virtual Open House
Mar. 22, 2022 - Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Webinar on Global First Power's proposed project
Nov. 15 to 30, 2021 - Virtual Open House
Mar. 2, 2021 - Telephone Town Hall
May 20, 2020 - Telephone Town Hall
- Information Panels - English (PDF)
- Panneaux d'information - Français (PDF)
- Session Recording - Part 1
- Session Recording - Part 2
- Session Recording - Part 3